Sunday, June 5, 2011

I Am a Survivor- Cancer Survivors Day

All cancer survivors can vividly recall the moment the disease invaded their lives.

Last year in the United States, more than one and a half million men and women were estimated to be diagnosed with cancer -- and more than half a million people were expected to die from the disease.

The statistics are sobering. But on the other side of diagnosis are nearly 12 million Americans who have been classified as survivors by a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- the authors credit early detection, an aging population, improved diagnostic methods and more effective treatment among the reasons why.

Behind these numbers are the stories of these millions of survivors, who each have their own tale to tell.

To honor all the Frike Survivors, I would like each survivor to comment and tell us how long you have been cancer free and anything else you would like to share with us. In return, I will be gifting pairs of earrings to you to thank you for taking the time to share your story with us.
(Please post your email address so I can contact you for your address)







8 comments:

  1. Cathy,

    As you know, I am a Breast Cancer Survivor. I have been in remission since January 30, 2008. I was only 28 when diagnosed. Nobody is free from this disease. It does not care about your age, race, gender, religion or anything else. Please ladies, do self exams every month. If I had not done this, I would not be here today. Thank you Cathy for all you are doing, hugs and love to you!!
    Amanda Langford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning they are! God Bless each and every one of you, I walk for you! Big Hugs & Keep Fighting! I promise I will keep walking for you! XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a survivor Ovarian Cancer. Diagnosed in 2009 no signs, no symptoms. I went in for a regular physical, and my doctor found it. I had a hysterectomy in 1996 but was left with one healthy ovary. That one healthy ovary became a 14lb monster 13 years later. But I know I am so fortunate to have a great doctor that found it and a wonderful oncologist to heal me. I know my life is a gift! I remind women to have an annual physical, ovarian cancer is silent and often found too late.
    Laura
    flamingolife@tampabay.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a 5 1/2 year survivor of breast cancer. I was almost 53 when I was diagnosed. I had a mystectomy then chemo, and I was so sick at the time. I am doing better now. And I have to totally agreed with the anonymous that no one is free once they have it. It might take 6 months, it might take 3 years or it might take 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a cancer warrior with The Brad Kaminsky Foundation For Brain Tumor Research. Thirty-one years old, I have been stricken with brain cancer three times. Twice as a child, and again in the Spring of 2009. Grateful to be doing well, I share my strength and hope with others, and raise awareness on the importance of brain tumor research.
    -Jennifer Alves

    JenniferJAlves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a cancer survivor, but a very wonderful family member is. My husbands Aunt Jean is one of the greatest ladies I have ever met. She does s0o0o0o00o much for everyone. It doesn't matter if someone needs help with something big or small, she will come to their aid. I have known my husband since 2005 and I know she has been fighting cancer since before then. She was cancer free for a few months, but then it returned bigger and badder than ever, but she stayed strong and once again is currently cancer free :)

    kimannchambers@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a Thyroid Cancer survivor. Diagnosed 2 years ago at the young age of 26. I'm doing well now but it's always make my stomach do flips everytime I have a test. I am so happy to be a part of your loving heart Cathy. The luminaries are beautiful! I'll be walking in my local Relay for Life this weekend and thinking of all those people you have touched.
    Joe's wife... Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy,
    As you know, I am a cancer survivor. Had thyroid cancer about 3 years ago. Going in for some repeat tests/scans next week because something may be brewing again. Scared outta my mind but having faith.
    Love and miss you,
    Eleni

    ReplyDelete