Sunday, December 11, 2011

25 Days of Giving 2011 - An Incredible Update!

In the spirit of our 25 Days of Giving, we would love to share with you some of the feedback we have received this month. Some of these are thank-you notes for the generosity of those who were able to purchase DOTD bracelets and contribute to our fundraising for families in need, and others are inspiring stories of how our Frikes reached out to help others during their time of need.
We are pleased to say that the efforts of those able to purchase bracelets have now helped 18 families with their holiday expenses, and that we were able to purchase over $200 worth of toiletries and other needed items for Rosie’s Place, an area women’s shelter. We were able to combine these purchases with a generous donation from a Frike, who sent in a package of toiletries for donation as well. Thank you all so much!
Please enjoy these stories, as we have, and if you have more to add, please comment below or contact us on our Facebook page. You can remain anonymous if you wish. We love to share the happiness that giving brings! We are so proud of you all for everything you have been doing and want to recognize your efforts, as well as inspire others to get into the spirit of giving!
-----
“Cathy and the Frikes,

I received a check today to be able to keep my phone, TV and internet on! Thank you to Cathy and her Frikes! I have so much on my plate with family life and this took one of my big worries off me for the month of December! Being disabled I struggle and that's not fun and when you do it around Christmas it’s even harder. I will not have to worry about that bill being shut off! My son plays video games on line and loosing the internet would take away the only thing we have money for him to do! We don’t get to go to movies and do fun things that cost money so this is his all time great entertainment since he has very few friends! From both of us I say....THANK YOU ALL!

I hope each of you who helped make this happen, feel so good about what you’re doing! God bless you all! You gave me happy tears! I needed a little bit of hope and joy more than anything today! You all shared that with me today! I think Cathy and all of you are angels in training! You have softened my heart and reminded me that even in my darkest hours, a fellow Frike you may not have even met yet .... can be your blessing! Cathy and all of you are mine!

Merry Christmas!”
-----
“Dear Cathy and Frikes,

Sometimes, as a parent, decisions are hard. This morning my son woke up and told me his ear hurt. I wasn't surprised as he had told me he felt pressure last night and well, this is not new to us. He gets ear infections at least once a year. Anyway, this morning when he got up, he said "Mommy, my ear really hurts." He broke my heart and this decision was easy. I had $30 left, enough to pay the copay to get it checked, so I took my son to the doctor. He did have an ear infection. One of the stores here gives the medicine we needed for free, so he is all set now. Except payday is still a week away.

After my running today, I came home to find a check in the mail. It warmed my heart on this very chilly rainy day. I couldn't believe it because I hadn't asked for help. I do hope each and every one of you that wanted to help, that did help and those that gave even more know how much I appreciate what you have done for us. Next year, I hope to be a helper too! I so want to be!

May you all have a Merry Christmas!!”
-----
“Dear Cathy,

I truly do not know where to begin. I sat here last Thursday night feeling lower than low. I am usually the one who stays positive and keeps the faith. It finally hit me that we are in such a bad place financially that I could not see a clear way to have a Christmas for my kids. It will be the first year ever that I cannot adopt a family or donate toys. I sat here on the couch and cried and cried and cried and sobbed some more.

You contacted me and told me not to worry. I cried even more when you explained why. I have a very hard time accepting help. I want to be the person giving help, no matter what kind of help it is. I know it is so important to learn how to not only give but to receive as well. Thank you my Christmas Angel, because of you and your Frikes, my kids will all have a happy face on Christmas morning. I love you more than you know. And I promise to you that as soon as I can, I will pay this forward. Thank you so much.

Love,
Me”
-----
One of our Frikes, who is a single mother on a budget, spent an evening working. At the end of her shift she asked her employer to split the night’s pay amongst the co-workers she worked with.

-----

Another Frike who would love to help but can't afford to purchase a bracelet donated money into my Paypal account to put toward purchasing toiletries for the women's shelter.

-----

I had pictures of some charms on my personal page that I was giving out. One of my friends offered to purchase one. I informed her that I am giving them since I have no use for them. She insisted on sending money to put toward helping out a Frike!

-----
“I feel so awesome! Bumped into a lady that was sitting inside Walmart to keep warm. Her boyfriend beat the **** out of her last night and she can't get into the shelter because her daughter is 18 and they only open the overflow for kids. I had $20 to my name. Just put them on a bus to Wyoming where she has family. She wanted my address to pay me back and I told her someone once helped me when I hit rock bottom so she should pay it forward one day."
-----
“We are poor, not just "man I really want to buy a new car, but can't" poor, but "living with my mom can we even afford one present this year" poor. It is embarrassing, but it's life--the kids don't know and are happy, that's what really matters.

Just this week I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to buy diapers for my baby... my aunt came through and bought a late baby gift of diapers! 2 days later I saw that Babies R Us is running a special on diapers for $5--and I have coupons to make them $3-3.50!!! Hecks yeah! So I call my cousin whose husband up and left her and 3 kids 3 and under, to tell her. She tells me that is awesome, but as it is she has been putting her son in his sister's diapers (2 sizes too small) because she couldn't afford to get him any more!
Well that really bothered me, so I told my mom and said I was gonna use the $12 I had saved to get me a "treat" on getting her some diapers....That turned into my mom and I going to the store and then a bit later "ding dong ditching" 2 boxes of diapers, some wipes, and few presents for the kids, and tomorrow I am going through my son's and daughter's toys and pulling out some nice things for her kids!

Moral of the story: There is always someone worse then you, even if you can't imagine! And doing something good for someone is THE best gift this season!”
-----
“Hi Cathy!

You are such a good influence on people, I hope you know that! Today, I finally bought that jacket for that homeless man I mentioned in my blog post. I spent a fair bit of time making sure I got him the exact right jacket (is it waterproof? Wind resistant? Can he wear it in varying weather conditions? Will it FIT?) and I think I got just the right coat for him. I even got Julian really excited about giving Jim (that's his name; turns out my mother has quite a lot of conversations with him) the coat.

If it hadn't been for your huge heart, I wonder if I would have been at all inspired to do this in the first place or actually follow through with it.

Thank you for being who you are! ♥♥

Mindi”
-----
Hi Cathy,

You inspired me!!! Knowing there was noway I could afford to help with the charity, Rosie's Place, that you were sending items to I tried to figure out a way that I could give back. Well I remembered that I had two bags of travel size toiletries under my bathroom cabinet that I was given when me and my girls were homeless. Well, knowing that I couldn't afford to ship them to you I brought them to my local woman's shelter. They were so appreciative and when I left I felt good knowing I had helped in some small way.

Well last night while I was in line getting my 7 month old grandson's WIC voucher for formula the cashier asked, "Are you all ready for Christmas?" I just looked up at her and said, "Unfortunatley, there won't be much of a Christmas this year. We don't even have a tree." This is a store I visit regularly so the cashier knows me and my girls. I told her that it was going to be a miracle if we made it through the week with food, gas and diapers for the baby because I had only $5 left after paying the rent. She came around and hugged me and the girls and I left. Well as we were almost to my car the cashier ran out to us and she said, "Pick out any tree you guys want!!" She said that the gentleman in line behind us heard and paid for a tree for us. I just started crying, and I mean crying like a baby..I couldn't believe it!!! So the girls and I picked one out and we now have a Christmas tree for the babies 1st Christmas! I pray that I'll be able to perform these random acts of kindness one day!!

Love ya,
Me
-----
Wow. We are humbled, and you are amazing! We could not be more proud to have such kind and loving people as part of our Cathy’s Creations family. Our Frikes are awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment